Yesterday, Ann Arbor News printed its last edition, following the unsettling trend spearheaded by such established papers as Denver’s Rocky Mountain News, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Christian Science Monitor. Maybe we don’t need newspapers to get our news, but I don’t want to swat flies with a MacBook. Other things you can’t do with a computer, but can with a newspaper:
•Paper-Mache a pinata.
•Create a megaphone for important announcements.
•Doodle squiggly lines on the front page while talking on the phone.
•Make a pirate hat.
•Threaten Blue Dog democrats into voting for health care reform.
•Wrap fish for cooking. Apparently, it cooks nicely and dinner guests can open their own package of food. Elegant.
•Assemble a ransom note.
•Kindle a fire. Kindles probably aren’t as useful. And they censor themselves.
•Make paper airplanes.
•Line a birdcage.
•Read it on Sundays without worrying about getting bagel crumbs in its keyboard.
•Find a masthead without keyword searching.
•Tear it up in frustration after another headline announces another newspaper has printed its last words.
- The Fold: News of the World
- The Fold: U.S. newspapers that stopped printing in June
- Twitter launches guide for journos
- Gannett layoffs hit nationwide
- Gannett to axe 700 jobs
- HuffPo pay wall a possibility
- McClatchy revenue still falling, just more slowly
- Finding a way to save local news, but is it by plagiarizing?
- Monday jolt: NY Times limits length of comments
- Maybe not in reading, but people still interested in newspapers
- RT @Larakate: @jeffbercovici @joehagansays he was pretty pro tawdry from my experience at the Us Weekly. 1 day ago
- RT @gregorydjohnsen: “I hope you like it,” Mr. Hagan wrote in a brief note. “It’s a true story.” Mr. Wenner did not like it. https://t.co/… 1 day ago
- RT @EnnisNYT: How Jann Wenner turned on his Boswell. @melbournecoal & @joecoscarelli on "Sticky Fingers" nyti.ms/2kXYke9 1 day ago
- RT @jimwindolf: The Journalist and the Journalist nyti.ms/2kXYke9 1 day ago
- Jann Wenner loved having a biographer. The biography comes out next week. Wenner hates it. nyti.ms/2kXYke9 1 day ago