Yesterday, Ann Arbor News printed its last edition, following the unsettling trend spearheaded by such established papers as Denver’s Rocky Mountain News, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Christian Science Monitor. Maybe we don’t need newspapers to get our news, but I don’t want to swat flies with a MacBook. Other things you can’t do with a computer, but can with a newspaper:
•Paper-Mache a pinata.
•Create a megaphone for important announcements.
•Doodle squiggly lines on the front page while talking on the phone.
•Make a pirate hat.
•Threaten Blue Dog democrats into voting for health care reform.
•Wrap fish for cooking. Apparently, it cooks nicely and dinner guests can open their own package of food. Elegant.
•Assemble a ransom note.
•Kindle a fire. Kindles probably aren’t as useful. And they censor themselves.
•Make paper airplanes.
•Line a birdcage.
•Read it on Sundays without worrying about getting bagel crumbs in its keyboard.
•Find a masthead without keyword searching.
•Tear it up in frustration after another headline announces another newspaper has printed its last words.
- The Fold: News of the World
- The Fold: U.S. newspapers that stopped printing in June
- Twitter launches guide for journos
- Gannett layoffs hit nationwide
- Gannett to axe 700 jobs
- HuffPo pay wall a possibility
- McClatchy revenue still falling, just more slowly
- Finding a way to save local news, but is it by plagiarizing?
- Monday jolt: NY Times limits length of comments
- Maybe not in reading, but people still interested in newspapers
- Norman Pearlstine Named Editor of The Los Angeles Times nyti.ms/2MDuyoD?smid=n… 12 hours ago
- RT @EnnisNYT: Patrick Soon-Shiong takes over as owner of The LA Times today. In April, @tarangoNYT & @melbournecoal talked to him about his… 17 hours ago
- RT @migold: For Father's Day, I wrote a very personal essay about my dad, his death, and the things he never taught me. https://t.co/XHuUcK… 1 day ago
- RT @tripgabriel: It was Stephen Miller who pushed the Trump admin to use the ‘nuclear option’ of separating children from parents at the bo… 1 day ago
- RT @jmartNYT: Most know that Va Republicans nominated a Trump mimic for the Senate. But what’s remarkable is that Stewart all but admits… 1 day ago